Vectoraster 8.5.1 released
A smaller patch of Vectoraster 8 has now been released. This updates some legacy components for future compatibility and fixes some issues introduced in the 8.5.0 update.
Changes and improvements
- Updates components for future compatibility, raising minimum required macOS version to 10.15.
- Fixes a bug where animation exports would not correctly apply a scaled export size.
- Fixes using the animation export panel size slider while the height or width field is active.
Vectoraster 8.5.0 released
A new bigger update of Vectoraster 8 has now been released. The new version brings support for multiple custom point shapes, something that has been requested for a long time. So now you can use a set of different imported shapes or images for the points, and use them in sequence, at random or based on your sources. Along with this the backend has also been rebuilt a little to make rendering and generation more responsive along with a bunch of other improvements and fixes.
Vectoraster 8.5.0 Changes and improvements
- Multiple custom shape support use different imported point shapes based on sources, index or at random.
- Improved generation/rendering with better performance, responsiveness and stability.
- Source opacity point removal with a new alpha threshold parameter. Makes it easy to remove points regardless of size where the source image is transparent.
- Animated GIF import support for Video source layers.
- Point fill opacity can now be applied to bitmap custom shapes as well.
- Fixed a bug with Multi-scale where clicking Apply button while typing in a value would not apply the scale.
- Fixed an issue with quicktime video exports dropping frames if the encoder was busy.
- Fixed a bug where animation export panel size fields would show the wrong values.
- Fixed a bug where some settings would reset when re-opening the settings panel.
Vectoraster 8.4.11 update
Another small update of Vectoraster 8 has been released today. This update fixes a couple of issues with bitmap based format exports and makes the animation timeline a little easier to work with.Bug fixes
- Fixes a bug with jpg export pixel aspect.
- Fixes an export dialogue bug whith bitmap format height/width would not be displayed correctly.
- Clicking in the animation timeline now deselects any selected value field, so you can use spacebar to play/pause.
Vectoraster 8.4.10 update
A small update of Vectoraster 8 has been released today. This update is just a bug fix to a bundle validation issue that caused an error message when trying to start v8.4.9 on some systems.
Vectoraster 8.4.9 released
A new update of Vectoraster 8 has now been released. This update updates SVG support, fixes some bugs and adds a nice new convenience feature to re-center source layers when updating the document size.
8.4.9 Changes and improvements
- Improved SVG image mode imports/rendering (Upgrade to IJSVG 3.0 framework).
- Added an option to re-center centered source layers on document size change, making it easier to resize a document to a new source image.
- Added link to user Discord channel in Help menu.
- Fixed being able to select the source measurement channel parent item in the parameter sources menu and not just the items.
- Removed a tooltip in the sources menu that was interfering with selecting items in submenus.
Vectoraster 8.4.8 released
A new update of Vectoraster 8 has now been released. This update makes a number of small improvements and fixes a lot of issues related to converting/importing more complex projects from Vectoraster 7.
8.4.8 Changes and improvements
- Optimized Randomization distortion.
- Improved generation and rendering progress updates for long processes.
- Updated manual and bundled sample files.
- Improved conversion of legacy source measurement exponent parameters when importing Vectoraster 7 files.
- Fixes a bug with dynamic distortion strength parameters in rasters with raster offset.
- Fixes initial loading preview image incorrect aspect for zoomed in rasters.
- Fixes source color/light filterers not being applied when the document legacy blur setting was enabled.
- Fixes an issue with converting some dynamic distrortion strength settings from legacy Vectoraster 7 files.
- Fixes an issue with importing legacy Vectoraster 7 files with invalid incremental step parameters.
- Fixes an issue with importing use source color mix parameters from legacy Vectoraster 7 files.
- Fixes an issue with converting separate Y spacing in alternating grid legacy Vectoraster 7 files.
Vectoraster and Patternodes user Discord
Some users have started a Discord channel for users of Vectoraster and Patternodes.
So if you're interested in discussing the apps, looking for help or want to connect with other users with check it out: Vectoraster and Patternodes discord
Vectoraster 8.4.7 released
A new smaller update of Vectoraster 8 has now been released. This fixes some smaller issues after the recent macOS sandbox security update.8.4.7 changes:
- Fixed missing Print permission in sandbox entitlements.
- Fixed drag highlight outline being shown on file areas even if the dragged file was not in a supported format.
- Fixed incorrect disk write protection warning in the technical log.
Vectoraster 8.4.6 released
A new update of Vectoraster 8 has now been released. The primary change in this update is making Vectoraster a sandboxed application, a security measure that puts strict limitations on access to system features like file access. Everything should still work as before, but you might see a couple of extra confirmation dialogues at first about granting access if you export multiple files for example. In addition to just being better from a security perspective this change is also a step to ensure future macOS compatibility for when Apple decides to make this type of security mandatory for all applications.8.4.6 changes:
- Improved SVG custom point shape path mode imports.
- Application Sandbox for improved security and future macOS compatibility.
- Updated Sparkle version checking and updates library.
Vectoraster 8.4.5 released
An update of Vectoraster 8 has now been released. This new version brings adds new dithering raster patterns, GIF animation export support and a couple of other fixes and improvements.8.4.5 changes:
- Added three new dithering raster patterns: Burkes, Atkinson and Bayer 4x4.
- Added support for exporting animations as animated GIFs.
- Added new preferences setting for default in/out easing type of new added keyframes.
- Fixed using trackpad pinch gestures to zoom in the preview.
- Fixed some issues with the export progress bar during repeated animation exports.
- Character point shape baseline pivot option is no longer turned on by default.
Vectoraster 8.4.2 released
A new small update of Vectoraster 8 has been released. This update fixes some issues when exporting complex rasters with a lot of points to SVG or CSV data.
Vectoraster 8.4.1 released
A new small update of Vectoraster 8 has now been released. This update fixes an issue with exporting animations to numbered files and makes some improvements to the interface.8.4.1 changes:
- Changed preferences interface so changes are applied immediately.
- Fixed an issue with exporting animations to numbered PNG or JPEG files.
- Interface performance improvements.
- Changed the default video export codec to H264.
- Added some improved error messages for export issues.
Vectoraster 8.4 released with video source support
A new update of Vectoraster 8 has been released. The new 8.4 version brings support for using video sources, just like images. This means you can now make animations with moving images and use Vectoraster to generate complex video halftone filters/effects. Along with this the existing animation timeline means you can also dynamically animate all raster parameters to change along with the video, bringing a lot of possibilities.Vectoraster 8.4.0 changes
- Video source layers allowing you to apply raster effect to video and export the animated result.
- Greatly improved video export rendering performance.
- The YouTube videos links now correctly lead to the Vectoraster 8 videos playlist.
- Fixes the display raster / source slider opacity not updating the preview.
- Fixes an issue with the export progress panel hiding when the application was inactive.
- Smoother handling of remotely deployed license unlocking, not showing the trial mode notice while the license is verified.
Vectoraster 8.3.3 released
After the release of the new Patternodes 3, a smaller update of Vectoraster 8 has now also bee released. This update fixes a couple of bugs and brings improvements to SVG imports along with a new app macOS 11-12 style icon to match the new Patternodes icon.8.3.3 changes:
- New macOS 11-style application icon.
- Improvements to SVG custom point shape parsing.
- Fixes some issues with UI panel animations.
- Fixes to some dark mode UI issues.
- Fixes holes still appearing in exports if exporting immediately after unlocking the full version.
- Updated to Sparkle 2.0 version checking and updating library.
Vectoraster 8.3.2 released
Another update has now been released for Vectoraster 8. This update adds a new Unsharp mask sharpening filter you can use on all source layers and fixes a couple of bugs.8.3.2 changes:
- New Unsharp mask sharpening filter available for all source layers.
- Fixes an issue where the Export dialogue could become unresponsive on macOS 12.1 when opening it a second time.
- Handle loading or setting invalid animation duration or framerate better.
Vectoraster 8.3.1 released
Another update has now been released for Vectoraster 8. This update brings an asortment of bugfixes and improvements to various parts of the application. Thanks to everyone who has reported bugs and submitted feedback! And if you haven't checked out the sample files in a while, this could be a good time. Maybe you'll find inspiration for something new added in recent updates.8.3.1 changes:
- Added support for drag and drop importing new source image layers.
- Fixed preview drag editing of position for distortions in rotated and offset rasters.
- Fixed the animation keyframe value field not updating the raster after changes.
- Fixed undo/redo of editing animation duration, framerate and loop settings.
- Fixed animation framerate setting not loading correctly from saved files.
- Fixed bug where raster would stop drawing after turning both point fill and storke off, even if they were turned on again.
- Updated sample files.
Vectoraster 8.3.0 released with new text raster modes
Today a new update for Vectoraster 8 has been released. This update adds new features that bring new possibilities working with text and font characters for point rasters, now allowing sets of multi-character words for the point shapes and more importantly a way to pick character or word based on a source.
This means you can define a set of characters or words and vary which one is used for each point actross the raster. Combined with all the different raster and point shape parameters already in place this gives you a lot of new possibilities!8.3.0 changes:
- New source-based text modes. Pick point text characters dynamically based on source layers. Paint by numbers or ASCII-art!
- New word text modes. Use a set of words instead of just characters as point shapes. Make word clouds or generate data-driven labels!
- Some changes for more consistent handling of fonts for text raster points and text source layers.
- Fix a bug where changing the document random seed wouldn't update the seed for all random properties.
- Fix a bug where the document random seed wouldn't be properly loaded from saved files.
- Performance improvements.
Vectoraster 8.2.5 released
Another update has now been released for Vectoraster 8. This update brings a couple of improvements to working with animations and keyframes in the animation timeline, fixes some issues in recent version with using source layer color for points and a couple of other little fixes and improvements.8.2.5 changes:
- You can now edit animation keyframes while the animation is running.
- You can now quickly revert values being edited by pressing Esc.
- Disabling a parameter that has an active animation track now also disables the animation track and adds a warning icon to it.
- Removing a source layer or pattern distortion that has animated parameters now also properly removes these animation tracks.
- Fixed a bug where removing the last source layer could leave an orphaned source settings panel.
- Fixed couple of issues in v8.2.3 and 8.2.4 with using source layer color for point stroke or fill.
- Changes to visibility toggle buttons for source layers and animation tracks to reduce interface clutter.
Vectoraster 8.2.4 released
Today another little update to Vectoraster 8 has been released, this time a bit of a hot fix of a bug that prevented opening legacy files with raster pattern distortions in v 22.214.171.124.2.4 changes:
- Fixes an issue with opening files with raster distortions in v 8.2.3.
- Fixes some interface button alignments on macOS 11.
Vectoraster 8.2.3 released
After a bit of a summer break another smaller update to Vectoraster 8 has been released today. Version 8.2.3 contains mostyl interface-related improvements, many relating to importing source images and dealing with resizing sources and the artboard.8.2.3 changes:
- Adding a new source image layer now opens a browse dialogue right away.
- Added a new Import source image menu item to quickly create a new source image layer.
- Improvemed handling of imported source image sizes when replacing a layer image.
- Added a new separate scale source layers option when changing the document artboard size.
- Improvements to tabbing between value fields and opening/closing interface panels.
- Document window size and position is now saved in VRaster files.
- Improved labels and tooltips to help make isometric raster patterns using the same spacing toggle.
- Improved interface panel animation performace.