Sketchfighter 4000 Alpha revival
Back in 2006 we developed the top down exploration shooter/metroidvania Sketchfighter 4000 Alpha together with Ambrosia Software. The game hasn't been updated for many years, and since Ambrosia is now gone it's hard/impossible to get your hands on the game or run it, and since the Ambrosia license system is down you can't unlock the full version even if you manage to download or own it.As mentioned on Reddit I've been thinking of trying to revive the game and make it playable on modern macOS again. I managed to contact the old Ambrosia people and get their ok, and I'm now in the process of getting the game running again, updated for modern macOS. While this project was quite uncertain to start out with, it is now nearing completion and at least a first re-release. So sign up below if you're interested!
Current progress: (May 14, 2020)
- All the source code, tools and resources originally used to make the game have been recovered.
- Managed to get the old game resource editor to run again with some improvements. Code refactoring
- All the Ambrosia Software code and components have been removed.
- Converted the code to use automatic garbage collection and fixed hundreds of compiler errors and warnings.
- Convert game object structure to be more consistent with modern macOS standards. Graphics
- Replaced old OpenGL code with a resizable OpenGL view in an aspect-locked window with fullscreen support.
- Fixed texture format and loading to get graphics to display correctly again.
- Converted all game menus and overlays to fit new wide screen monitor aspect instead of the old 800x600 resolution.
- Remade fixed loop animation sequences to prevent the system from beachballing thinking the app has crashed. Audio
- Music code replaced/remade and working again.
- Sound effect code replaced/remade and working again. Input
- Mouse and keyboard input is now working again.
- In-game text fields are working again.
- Remade key binding be able to edit keyboard controls. Gameplay
- Game saving/loading working again with a new file format.
- The full single player campaign to make sure everything is working.
- Local two player cooperation and competition modes are working.
- Local 2P coop highscores in place again.
Plans / To do:
- Beta testing! Beta 7 is now in testing.
If you want to be notified when Sketchfighter 4000 Alpha is re-released, use the form below to submit your name and e-mail. The number of people signing up for this will also let me know a little about how many people are interested in reviving the game. This information will only be stored and used for this one e-mail release notification and will be deleted after that.
If you're interested in helping out as a beta tester you can check the beta testing box. If you do this you'll be notified when there is a beta build ready for testing and how to access it. If you complete the testing and report back, this will be converted to a full license if/when the game is released, so you'll get it for free.
Sign up for release notification or to be a beta tester using the field below.