PatterNodes is a procedural design tool for creating graphical patterns, animations or illustrations based on repetitions. This is done by defining a sequence of steps that describes the design, using nodes and connections between them. PatterNodes is designed from the start to make it easy to tweak things to see how they turn out. Therefore the resulting design output is always shown in the bottom preview view, repeated for patterns and updating in real time with any changes, giving you instant feedback of what the end result will be.
While the software can be used to create many types of illustrations and animations it's primarily aimed at pattern creation. To make pattern creation easier PatterNodes also includes a lot of nodes that automatically perform common tedious tasks like repeating elements at the tile edges to make the pattern seamless, or randomizing different aspects (like color, position, rotation..) of the elements in a pattern to give it a little more life.
When you're happy with the result you can simply copy the output as vectors into whatever illustration or graphics application you use, or export it either as vector graphics or a bitmap image file.
Sample patterns and inspiration
There is a small collection of sample PatterNodes patterns on Behance along with a collection of projects that could work as inspiration for what you could use PatterNodes for:Sample patterns on Behance
PatterNodes inspiration collection on Behance
- Extremely flexible and powerful node-based interface.
- Real-time updated tiled preview of the result while adjusting parameters.
- Add animation value ranges to any parameter and export the complete animation cycle.
- Lots of different configurable shapes, lines, curves and file import options to build your pattern with.
- Easily paste in vector or bitmap graphics elements to use in your pattern.
- Import or paste in bitmap graphics or vector shapes (EPS, PDF or SVG) to use in your patterns.
- Integrated text tools to let you apply all the transformations, effects etc to individual letters.
- Automates making seamless pattern tiles.
- Nondestructive randomization functions to randomly scale, rotate, move or adjust the color of the individual elements of your patterns.
- Export the result as bitmap (JPEG, PNG, TIFF) or vector (EPS, PDF) graphics, or just copy it and paste it into some other application.
- Export animations as GIF, QuickTime MOV or numbered PNG or JPG files.
- Extensive manual, node reference guide, inline tool tip help and warnings messages, sample patterns and tutorial files to help you get started.
Patternodes 2 in development
The next major update to Patternodes is now in development. You can read more and sign up to be notified when it's released here:Patternodes 2